WHEN: Candy League sign-ups will be held on three consecutive Saturdays, February 1, 8, and 15.
WHERE: Japanese Cultural Institute (JCI) in Gardena (Nisei Veteran's Hall). Address: 1964 W. 162nd Street in Gardena. Note that on February 8, the sign ups will be in the JCI Basement.
TIME: 9:00 am - 12:00 noon.
COST: $25 per player (includes a t-shirt for each player to be provided once the league commences). If paying by check, please make it payable to “South Bay F.O.R.”
ELIGIBILITY: Open to any girl from grades 2-7. F.O.R. membership is not required. Prior basketball experience is not required.
1) While you may sign up other players, we will separate teammates so that girls can meet other girls from different teams.
2) Once we reach the quota for each division, you will be placed on a waiting list, so please sign up early.
3) Be prepared to provide the following information for each player: Name, Address, Phone #, Email Address, Current Grade Level,
Position(s) Played, # of Years Playing Experience, Current Team, Height, T-Shirt Size
*Applications are also available online and may be sent in to South Bay FOR Candy League, 19326 Flavian Ave., Torrance CA 90503, ATTN: Stacy. (Please note that applications/fees that are mailed in are due February 14th.)
ABOUT CANDY LEAGUE:
1) Games are on Saturdays and will begin approximately mid-April and end around the second week of June, based on gym availability.
2) Games will consist of two 16-minute running halves.
3) There will be byes for the F.O.R. and Tiger Tournaments and Easter weekend.
4) No practices are held and the coaches will generally be F.O.R. girls of high school age who have previously gone through the program.
Candy League Application: Click here for the Candy League application.
FORMATION OF TEAMS: Will be formed based on the girl's current grade level. Teams consist of combined grade level teams, so for instance, on a single team, you will have older and younger players.
The grade level breakdowns and related game locations are as follows:
2nd and 3rd grades – games will be played at Gardena Municipal Gym
4th and 5th grades – games will be played at Gardena Municipal Gym
6th and 7th grades - games will be played at Gardena Municipal Gym
Note: The first game will begin at Municipal Gym at approximately 1:15 pm.
If you have any questions, please contact Stacy Tomita at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will also be looking for volunteers to assist with the league. Since we are not having an 8th grade division, FOR girls in the 8th grade can volunteer to assist an older FOR girl as a coach. We are primarily interested in getting coaches, scorekeepers and referees to assist this year. Volunteers are open for 8th graders (asst coaches) and 9th grade to 12th grade (head coaches, scorekeepers and referees). Volunteers will be given credit for community service hours.
Girls interested in volunteering should contact Glenn and Patty Nakamura at the following email address:email@example.com